-->

A Farming Story...

During the Easter holiday, we stayed on a farm in The Howgills in Yorkshire.  It's a beautiful area, the weather was amazing, the farmer and his wife were lovely people, and when I got home I found this picture book in a charity shop...


It's about a rescued lamb who Tess the sheepdog looks after.  But when he has to go back to live with the sheep, Charlie the lamb thinks he's a sheepdog...

Our holiday was fantastic.  As well as getting in lots of hill-walking and mountain-climbing, the children (15 and 12) helped out on the farm every morning.  They went off with the farmer, checked on all his lambs in the fields, helped to feed orphaned and weak lambs, and generally chased around in the fresh air!  It wasn't all cute and cuddly though, they learnt about real farming, some of the lambs died, some were orphaned and the scarecrow over the rhubarb patch was actually a real crow (not joking!).  They absolutely loved it, an amazing, informative and enriching change from city life.




I've dug out all the stories I could find about farms - obviously not a complete list but these are the ones I own and that my children and the children I work with love...



Do you have any favourite farm stories?
Are any of these your children's favourites?

For more story ideas and inspiration:

No comments:

Post a Comment